Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Visit to West Yellowstone.

Last week, I went to West Yellowstone with Kyle and my family. We spent four glorious days under the sun, playing in the park, and seeing all of the shows at The Playmill Theatre. What a grand time. Here are some pictures from the vacation!

On the drive to West Yellowstone we made a couple of stops. First, we had lunch in Rexburg with my best friend Elise Vander Does. (Oh I've missed her!) Then, we stopped at Big Springs in Island Park. This stream is crystal clear, and all of the water comes from natural springs in the ground. Usually we feed the big fish here, but they were hiding under the bridge from the hot afternoon sun.
After getting checked into the Motel, we had one of my favorite West Yellowstone treats: Graham cracker flavored ice cream with tiny pieces of chocolate-covered graham crackers mixed in. The Graham Slam at Buckaroo Bills! It's especially fun because we get to eat underneath covered wagons;)
Our second day on the trip, we ventured into the park to see some of the popular sights in Yellowstone National Park. We saw Old Faithful and we walked around several of the geysers and paint pots. Even though it was steamy and smelly... it was still incredible! There aren't very many places in the world where you can see such unique sights! Also, I love how brilliant the colors are.
Me, Mom, and Kyle at Old Faithful. I never got to see it erupt during the day when I lived there last year! (Only saw it once, at midnight.) What a sight!
MOMENT OF TRUTH: Kyle has gotten me into the whole Avatar: The Last Airbender thing, and so of course, who would we be if we missed out on a picture of us water bending in the park? ;) Yes... guilty as charged.
After we explored the geysers and hot pots on our first day in the park, we went to Firehole Canyon for a little swimmin'! Firehole is one of my favorite places. The water is great, the rapids are wild, and the canyon is gorgeous! That's my honey pullin' a stunt, and Brooklyn braving the rapids. So, so fun.
One of the biggest reasons for coming to West Yellowstone was to see the shows at The Playmill Theatre, a little theater in town where I worked last summer. I was so excited to show Kyle The Playmill! Our first night in West Yellowstone we saw The Fiddler on the Roof. It was such a fun show, and officially my first show I've seen at The Playmill. :) Our second night in town, we saw Beauty and the Beast. My dear friend Hannah Merrill was Belle, and she was absolutely wonderful (as always!).

I made sure that Kyle and I got our sweet fix during the trip. I had to experience all of the treats that I remembered from my summer in West Yellowstone. Our second morning in town, we bought breafkast from the bakery to save for Sunday morning, and then we got some cannolis to go! So yum.
The second day in the park, we went to some of my favorite sights. We visited some of the most beautiful waterfalls in the park! The picture above is at the Lower Falls. The rest of the family decided to skip this hike because they had seen the Lower Falls last year, but I took Kyle down to the lookout point. The rushing waters are amazing!
This is my favorite view of the waterfall, Artist's Point. It is so picturesque. 
I just can't get over how beautiful the park is!
After spending the majority of the day in the park, we often came back to the motel to rest. Kyle and I would walk around town, grab ice cream, or just come back to the motel to relax and get ourselves ready for the shows in the evening! Late-night shows and early-mornings in the park can be pretty tiring!
Kyle and I wandering around West Yellowstone. 
We loved our crystal pops from the old fashioned candy shoppe across the street! :)
I had to be sure and take Kyle to all of the great little restaurants in town.  We ate at The Woodside Bakery, The Running Bear, The Red Lotus, Buckaroo Bill's, Arrow Leaf, and a couple of other great places. Our last night in town we ate at the Taco Bus! It's a bus that's been converted into a little Mexican fast-food restaurant. Ah, the Taco Bus. A West Yellowstone classic ;)
Here's a picture of Me and Mr. DeYoung at The Playmill Theatre, waiting for the doors to open. The last night in town we saw Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (My personal favorite). All in all, it was such a fun trip. I loved exploring the park, and I loved seeing the shows at The Playmill Theatre. I loved the fun cast, the dole whip, the fudge, the music, and the atmosphere! What a cute little place, and so many great memories! The cast and the shows were fabulous, and I think Kyle had fun too. :)

Thanks for such an enjoyable trip, Mom and Dad! We loved every minute of it!

2 comments:

  1. Baileee! When I saw the first picture, I thought, "Hey!!! I know that place!!!" Corey's family always goes to Island Park every September just after Labor Day so it was fun to see a picture of you two in such a beloved place.
    The colors at Yellowstone are awesome and how fun to share your favorites with Kyle. He's one lucky boy! Sure can't wait to LIVE at home with you guys and hang out more often.
    Lots love,
    Alisa and Co.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such an amazing and wonderful trip! I'm glad it all worked out and you all had such a good time together!
    -Jana

    ReplyDelete